Monday, March 29, 2010

The Bike Ride That Changed My Life


paved


Sometimes, I feel like my brain is turning into pudding. I like pudding, especially soy pudding, but this isn't a good feeling. It's a sense that your mind is fogged over and your body is soon to follow until you just poof out of existence, log out of life.

I felt like that after work today. I'd spent 8 hours sitting in front of computers, and remotely controlling computers in other rooms, and doing other network things. It was mind-numbing.

work sucks

So, when I got home, I took my bike out in the rain and headed across the w-burg bridge to Manhattan. Even just quarter-way across I knew that I had fixed the problem.

w-burg bridge

My blood was pumping again, my mind was clear, all was well again. The bike rides that change your life don't have to be epic journeys across France or races through all the boroughs, or even a whole day of biking, sometimes they can be a ride in the clouds and rain to clear the fog out of your brain. You know it's one of those rides, when an hour later, you still feel like you're there, flying through the sky and nothing will ever stop you again.

restored

4 comments:

JJN said...

Oh, man. Good on you. I missed out (and could have used it).

Thanks for posting!

Behooving Moving said...

That's a Velorbis right? Mine that I have on order reaches Australia this week, I can't wait. Have been riding a 1975 Raleigh since discovering comfortable/stylish happy bike riding (though I still race roadies each weekend).
In any case greetings from a few like-minded folk in Newcastle, down under. I'll go now and post your link on my blog so my mates can all learn about NYC (used to live there myself, but in that time never cycled, dog dammit)
http://behoovingmoving.livejournal.com/

whatisawridingmybikearoundtoday said...

I had *just* that kind of ride yesterday. Love it, love the bike.

whatisawridingmybikearoundtoday said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.