Thursday, June 12, 2008

Out of our shells.

The NYT is having a tendency toward writing articles that I like to call "stupid" these days.

Here's one about the NYC commuter race and why the "bicycle always wins." They try to debunk the claim that the bicycle is pretty much always the fastest way to get from one point to another in NYC. Really? THAT is the claim you want to debunk? Nothing else in the last eight years has warranted this kind of skepticism? Give me a break.

Anyway, from my experience, it's remarkable how quick it is to get around NYC by bicycle. It really reminds me how small a geographic area this city occupies - and how dense it is.

Once you've walked down the 10,000 steps to the subway, waited for a train that isn't full and walked back up the steps, it's no surprise to me that bicycling is faster. And cars? Well, I've noticed that even here in Brooklyn, I'm always passed by and then catching up to the same car over and over again.

What does this mean? That the cars are going faster from stop-light to stop-light, but by bike: SLOW AND STEADY WINS THE RACE. Hurrah for us, we're the tortoises.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

I try to make that my mantra when I'm in traffic. Slow and steady, mind the door zone, slow and steady... repeat.

Maybe the next bike will be named Tortoise - to reinforce the thought.

Thanks for the post!