Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Not that it matters...


...but these are the stairs to our home. These are the stairs we carry our bikes up and down. I promised to post a photo of them a while back when we were having the always passion-inspiring "bicycle weight conversation".

I do have to say, that these stairs are the reason that, for us, here in Brooklyn, 40 or 45 lbs is much, much better than 50 or 55 lbs.

And if you're wondering why we don't leave the bikes out overnight - well, there is a reason that the strongest locks made by Kryptonite are called the New York series. It's not that we have more bike thefts than other American cities (we aren't #1 in that anymore). It's that anything left on the street in New York, especially in this neighborhood is subject to violent destruction.

Let me repeat - Anything left on the streets of Brooklyn overnight, in this neighborhood, will likely get broken. And they would probably be doing it just for fun. It's the American way: Consume, Destroy, Consume, Destroy...

Hopefully, recent events mean that a CHANGE is coming...

8 comments:

Charlotte said...

Those stairs look easy to this Boston-dweller! Mine spiral up a narrow passageway, and my wheelbase is longer than the hypotenuse of the corners.

I'd take a long straight set of stairs any day!

Even here in Boston you don't want to leave anything out overnight. My bike lives in a shed and my husband has a folder, which he carries up our stairs.

Amanda said...

My first grown-up bike weighed oh, like, 1000 pounds. Ok, maybe not. But it was a cruiser, huge and heavy and with added pounds from the basket, kickstand, etc. I weigh perhaps 110 soaking wet. I lived at the top of a circular staircase with many railings and low ceilings. In Toronto...which just might have usurped NYC's title for bike theft capital. I have never had arm muscles like I did those two summers!

Michael said...

charlotte - I think I need to take a photo with a person at the top... it's really farther than it looks.
: )

Charlotte said...

I just took a photo of ours - will post it soon. I don't think you'll be jealous.

Charlotte said...

As promised!
http://chiccyclist.blogspot.com/2008/06/our-staircase-to-fourth-floor.html

aLex said...

um, charlotte, my sympathies. you win.

Charlotte said...

Well, I think they're still very brave for wresting 45 pounds up all that!

I think it is great that we all have options.

Michael said...

I was so proud of Jenny lifting her bike up - picking it up completely and carrying it up and down these stairs FOUR TIMES the other day. Wow. She's going to be so strong after this summer...