Tuesday, June 17, 2008

9th Ave. Bicycle Path

DSC_1891

On 9th Ave., the west side of Manhattan, a segregated bike lane has been constructed with temporary partitions. The city has put forward a plan to make it permanent. I rode over to take a look at the lane.

DSC_1894

There are traffic lights for the bicycle lane, but mounted very high - so high in fact, that I didn't notice them at first - I hope the city decides to lower them.

The lane runs from around 23rd to 14th. It was good to ride in, but since there is no northbound lane, I ran into more cyclists (delivery riders mostly) who were going the wrong way on the lane.

In fact, on this night, I encountered at least 20-30 delivery riders who were riding the wrong way and almost hit me. None of them had bells or lights. Here's a typical delivery guy, as you can see he's riding the wrong way in the bike lane, on a one way street. They're everywhere and I've frequently seen them almost hit pedestrians.

DSC_1887

1 comment:

Spokes... said...

"What is once well done is done forever." (Henry Thoreau)