Thursday, May 29, 2008

Workbikes

BikePortland.org announces a Portland dealer for a new utility bicycle, a workbike called the Mundo, made by Yuba. I love that there are even more options for cargo bikes - let's replace any cars we can with technology like this. But why does it have to look like this?



Personally, I think it's OK, just not exciting to me - but I wonder, Why can't it look like this?

Or, even better, like this? Probably the most beautiful cargo bicycle around...


Or this?


What do you think? What's your favorite bicycle for cargo? There are so many - post yours in the comments.


SUBMISSIONS FROM READERS

DrMekon said...I've already got a bakfiets, but I guess if I was going to get something else, that Short John would be cool. I'll admit to having also looked lustfully at a Filibus:
D&IC replies: I love this one, the powder blue is classic. Thanks Dr. Mekon!


UPDATE (May 30):

The more I look at the yuba offerings, the more I'm thinking it's the big W in the rack on the one pictured above that I find disconcerting. It makes me think of a certain war monger who has been holding this country hostage for 8 years... I like this one much better:



7 comments:

bibliogrrl said...

Oh, I *love* the look of the Mundo. I'm also completely in love with the price point (and also the business model, to be honest). My only complaint is that there is only the one color available. But at a fully built bike for under 900 dollars? I'm so not going to complain.

Now if I only had somewhere to KEEP one.

I don't know if you could really give anyone a ride on the racks of those other bikes, either!

DrMekon said...

I've already got a bakfiets, but I guess if I was going to get something else, that Short John would be cool. I'll admit to having also looked lustfully at a Filibus.

http://www.fietsfabriek.nl/imagesbig/filibus.jpg

Michael said...

bibliogrrl - yeah, I don't mean to be down on the Mundo, the function is really cool - but don't you love that Filibus that Dr. Mekon posted?

Eric said...

If I were to get a dedicated cargo bike, I'd probably get one of these.

Charlotte said...

I think buying a W bike to spite W would be pretty awesome!

Take back the 'W'!

DrMekon said...

I am glad you like it. I think the same designer who did the Filibus also did the Double Dutch for Dutch ID

http://www.dutch-id.nl/transporter/tekening4.jpg

It's too close to the Pack Max Duo not to be the same guy

http://www.fietsfabriek.nl/images/fietsen/duowit.jpg

His name is Michael Kemper and he has his own bike design company. He seems to have worked for quite a few brands:

http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.kemper-velo.de%2Findex.php%3Fid%3D56&sl=de&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Love your blog BTW.

Michael said...

Charlotte - anything to spite the dubya....

Dr. - THANKS!