Saturday, May 17, 2008

Helmet?


Helmet?, originally uploaded by escapehelicopter.

So, here's the question....

Should I pay $80 so that I can look like a mushroom? I feel like the gods were speaking to me, because right after we were trying on helmets at the bike shop, we walked past this guy who had been HIT BY A TRUCK while riding his bike...

I know some of you have strong feelings about this. I've always worn a helmet when I rode in the US, but I've never worn one when I was riding in Europe. Strange, I just realized that...

So, what do you think?

3 comments:

Marty said...

Well, if you want to ride without a whole battalion of finger-waving nannies clucking over your lack of sensitivity to their fears for your well being, $80 isn't a bad investment. The oft-reported "study" underlying their "logic" has been convincingly refuted and most of the bike injuries continue to be road-rash and worse on knees, elbows, hips, and the like. The helmet-nannies are, however, quite emotional and IMHO you need to assess how many of them you need to appease.

aLex said...

oh, michael, you're such a tease. did you really think you could post this and not start a small war? you've seen zakkaliciousness' blog on this topic ...

with my helmet on, i am safely sidestepping a discussion that began with referring to all helmet wearers as "finger-waving" nannies. it's a matter of personal choice. wear it, wear it not.

Michael said...

LOL - Alex, I was hoping, praying, on my knees, that this would turn into an all out war... but so far no one is taking the bait...

I really do want to hear the arguments for and against because I've always done as the locals do - which means helmet in the US, no helmet in Europe. But that's kind of strange and lacking in reason.

The biggest concern for me is that people in NYC drive like total maniacs. I saw a cab hit a cyclist not long ago and he literally FLEW through the air. It was awful and it was both of their faults. The cyclist was running a yellow light and it turned red, and he was going WAY too fast....but the cabby, as usual, was racing down the street timing the green lights.

So, where is zakkalicious on this one - I was hoping for some anti-helmet, pro-helmet debate...