Saturday, May 3, 2008

Drunk and in charge...


One of the best memories of riding my bike in Denmark is going home drunk, at night, sometimes from Jail House (which is a club). This might sound dangerous and it probably was (and is) but it's also extremely fun. I can't think of anything more fun than being slightly drunk and pedaling home on a bike lane at night through the forests and fields with the moon and stars above. You can't help but laugh and smile. And yeah, occasionally you fall over, but you just have to be careful and ride slow. It's even more fun with friends. Oh and you should sing while you do it too.

I biked almost every day as a kid growing up in the country - and then I biked to school every day in Denmark and I biked all over Nantucket (where I lived before coming to New York) - so I can't escape the feeling that something is just missing from my life here unless I can bike.

So, I've decided it's time to overcome the fear of biking in New York City. OK, yes, people drive like complete maniacs, and yes, the cabs drive like the world is about to end (due to meteor, climate change or alien monster) and they have to get out of the city in 10 minutes or they'll be crushed/frozen/eaten but so what! And I don't want just any bike - I want a bike that will make me as happy as my bike in Denmark did. And so the search begins...

(Right, so why am I blogging about this? I was talking to Mikael, of Copenhagen Cycle Chic and Copenhagenize, and he suggested I blog about my search. As if my three other blogs aren't enough... Thanks for the inspiration Mikael - I could look at your flickr streams all day).

No comments: