Thursday, May 15, 2008

Buying a Bike up North...


Sigrid and I were chatting about the weight of the bikes she's considering and I mentioned that if I could fly to Denmark this weekend, I would pick up a simple, standard Raleigh, one of the models they only make for the Scandinavian market.

The Tourist, pictured above, is available in 3, 5 and 7 SRAM for around $1,000 USD (with today's exchange rate). They're Hi-Ten steel, come in mens and womens frames and really are the classic bike that comes to mind when I think of Denmark. Of course, this doesn't really address the weight concern, since these are just as substantial as any hi-ten frame...

To address Sigrid's concern, Raleigh and many other companies in Denmark sell alloy bikes as well... and since she's going to be in Sweden soon, I suggested that she do her bike shopping there to take advantage of the greater selection.

Anyone have a suggestion for a great bike shop in Stockholm?

1 comment:

Sigrid said...

Wow, thanks Michael! I appreciate any and all comments. With a week to go and a hectic schedule at work, I'm not getting as much Dutch-style bike research in as I planned. Look for my weight issue post soon...

Please folks, tell me where to go in Stockholm!

Many thanks!
-Sigrid