Friday, May 16, 2008

Bike To Work Day?


Here is where I work... The CUNY Graduate Center. A graduate university with 4,000 students.

So, even though the city says they want people to cycle to work - here is the city agency I work for. Can you find the bicycle parking?

No real bicycle parking for students. No real bicycle parking for staff or faculty or anyone. Just a few pathetic little metal stands - I think there are 4 of them. You can see one clearly in this photo.

And trust me, there is more than enough empty unused space in this building where they could easily create a bicycle room.

3 comments:

gwadzilla said...

the bicycle is the mechanism of the second class citizen

even the people in buses, cabs, and trains feel superior to us

which is fine
cause I feel superior to them

Michael said...

gwadzilla - too true... I think that will have to change if NYC and other metropolitan areas are going to survive the increase in population, etc. I try not to be anti-car, but the way cars are given priority over everything in New York really bothers me. Especially when they're given priority over the constitutional right to assemble...

2whls3spds said...

Looks like the same old same old. I got chastised by a security guard for locking my bike to the Handicapped Parking Sign post at the local shopping sprawl. No bike racks, nothing to lock to, other than the sign posts.

Aaron