Tuesday, May 6, 2008

An American who doesn't drive?


mewithcat


Copenhagenize blogs today about the environment, oil and cars.  Zakkaliciousness writes:
I read alot about this oil crisis in America and I recall a statistic about how more bicycles were sold in America in 1976 than cars because of the oil crisis back then. Let's hope bike sales increase again now and that people actually ride them.

This got me thinking.  I was born in 1976.  I grew up in a rural town in the mountains in the Western United States and everyone drove.  I went to Denmark when I was 15, and when I came back, I didn't want to get a car and I didn't want to drive.  I didn't want to have anything to do with it.  Didn't even want to get a license.  Once I left and went to college, I started taking the bus and riding my bike around Portland.

Fast forward 15 years and here I am, living in New York City.  I still don't drive.  I've never had a drivers license, never had a car.  So, it's true that Americans are addicted to cars, but this American has managed to live without one.  And I plan on keeping it that way.

No comments: